Honestly, one of the many joys of summer is being able to eat all these yummy fruits that are only available in the warm summer months – you know, cherries, watermelon, figs…the sweetness and joy of the these delicious fruits melt the heat away. In Ayurveda, when the heat is up, we say eat food that is sweet to cool down – it’s an energy thing.
Here are some cool health benefits that cherries provide…
- Reduce post-exercise muscle pain
- Relieve arthritis pain
- Increase melatonin for a better night’s rest
- Improve brain function
- Reduce inflammation
- Prevent cancer
- Are high in Vitamin C & fiber
Wow! Cherries are awesome! Ok, below is a really COOL smoothie recipe – go ahead, indulge a little (this smoothie is detox friendly, of course)!
Cherry Delight Smoothie:
- 1/3 cup pitted cherries
- 2-3 pitted dates
- 2-4 Tbs organic almond butter
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tsp camu powder
- 1 frozen banana
- 12-14 ounces of raw coconut water (depending on how thick you want your smoothie)
Blend in a high powered smoothie, add a straw and enjoy! Totally delish!