Adapted from Forks Over Knives
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- One 14 ½-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 cups chunked Yukon Gold organic potatoes
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp chile paste
- 2 cups chopped chard (you can also substitute with collard greens and/or kale)
- Sea salt to taste
Heat ¼ cup of the water in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes until softened.
Add the ginger, paprika, cumin, and black pepper to the pot and stir well. Add the remaining 3 cups of water and the lentils, chickpeas, tomatoes, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Add lemon juice, chile paste (start with 1 tsp and add more to taste), and chard (or other greens). Cook for 5-8 more minutes, until chard is tender. Season with a bit of sea salt and serve!
Perfect on a cold winter day!